Saturday, August 8, 2009

The Garden Is Growing!

This is my first real vegetable garden -- I've tried growing tomatoes and herbs in pots in the past, but as my first summer with a real yard, I jumped into homegrown veggies.

As noted earlier, this year's crop includes 1 zucchini plant, 2 heirloom tomatoes (1 cherry, 1 "strawberry" and 1 pepper. Rundown on progress:
  • Zucchini plant was going strong, but then succumbed to powdery mildew and I pulled it earlier this week. I was able to harvest about 12-18 zucchinis and still have one in the fridge.
  • Heirloom strawberry tomato has a couple of BIG tomatoes on it, but they haven't ripened yet.
  • Heirloom cherry is officially out of control. It is climbing up the side of the garage, around the pepper plant, inching its way to the driveway. We've already enjoyed a handful of cherry tomatoes with about 1 bagillion more on the way. I'm not complaining.
  • Pepper plant is slow and steady. I actually wasn't expecting to be able to harvest anything, but one pepper showed up last week (still ripening) and I just noticed 2 more the other day.
Fingers crossed that the heirlooms don't succumb to the blight!
5 Foot Heirloom Cherry Tomato.

A big heirloom strawberry tomato. They're heart-shaped!

One little pepper growing, 80% surrounded by the crazy cherry.

No comments: