Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Real Deal

Recently, I was reminded that there is an amazing fish market near my office, New Deal Fish Market. New Deal is the real deal -- fresh fish, amazing quality, all from a local, family-run spot. Reprimanding myself for not going there more often, I decided the other day to pick up some fresh fish during my lunch break.

But getting fish is not so easy and required some advance planning on my part. First, I packed a cooler and a few ice packs. Once at work, I stashed the ice packs in the kitchen freezer and waited patiently until lunchtime. On my lunch break, I navigated narrow East Cambridge streets to reach New Deal. Inside, I quickly spotted yellow fin tuna steaks and boy, were they gorgeous. With my bounty purchased, I returned to work and dropped them in the kitchen fridge. When the 5 o'clock whistle sounded, I gathered up ice packs and fish and packed them up in the cooler waiting in my car.

Preparation of the fish was easy and quick! Salt & pepper and a cast iron skillet were my best friends -- less is more in this case. A quick sear in the pan and served with rice and soy made this all a delicious treat at home. Definitely worth repeating!

No comments: