Sunday, February 1, 2009

Eat Your Veggies

Last week at the grocery store, I was looking for some arugula to serve with roasted lemon-pepper shrimp and pasta. I couldn't find any, so opted to pick up some broccoli raab instead. I'm not a fan of regular broccoli, but broccoli raab is OK and I am trying to expand my veggie consumption.

Over the past few days, I had heard several people mention that broccoli was good roasted -- I had never heard of such a thing! Ok, why not?

The net result: crispy florets, intensely flavored and tender stalks. I preferred the florets, Glenn preferred the stalks. I served mine with shrimp and pasta, but this would work well as a side dish for steak.

Roasted Broccoli Raab
  • 1 bunch broccoli raab
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • olive oil
  • 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
  • salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 400. Remove tough ends of the stalk from the broccoli raab. Toss with chopped garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, salt & pepper. Arrange in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake 15-20 mins until tender, turning 1-2 times with tongs during the cooking. Serves 2-3 as a side dish.

No comments: